Nighttime cravings can creep in just as we’re relaxing in the evening. Our minds wander to the cookies, chips or ice cream sitting in our kitchen, but eating highly processed junk food before bed isn’t a good idea. Not only are these foods filled with sodium and empty calories, they can also trigger overeating and lead to indigestion.
Eating before bed, isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Next time you’re craving something sweet, try a ZenBev Chocolate Peanut Butter Granola Bar. This easy-bake treat is a source of protein and fibre and will help your body produce it’s own melatonin to help you fall asleep naturally. Give this recipe a try and share your results on social media using the hashtag #ZenBaking on Instagram or Facebook.
Zenbev Chocolate Peanut Butter Granola Bars
- 2 cups Rice Krispies
- 1 cup oats
- 4 scoops chocolate Zenbev
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/8 cup peanut butter (or alternative spread)
- 1/2 cup honey
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips (optional – for those with a real sweet tooth)
- 2 tablespoons of butter (If needed)
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl and stir well until combined.
- In another bowl, mix together the peanut butter and honey until combined.
- Add the two mixtures together and stir well – this may take quite a bit of mixing. Add 2 tablespoons of melted butter if required. The dough should be quite sticky!
- Press the dough into a baking dish in an even layer, about 1 inch thick.
- Bake in the oven at 300 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until you see browning around the edges.