Get Back to Sleep!
Wide awake in the middle of the night. What do you do? You need to get back to sleep, but how? It’s not like you can will yourself to sleep. Here are a few strategies, do’s and don’ts. What are your tricks?
The challenge seems to be shutting down the sharp, hyper-aware conscious mind and travelling to that relaxing state that sleep easily grabs hold of. Here are some strategies to achieve that mellow state:
- If you had been dreaming, try to re-enter into the dream narrative you were recently in, silly as it may be (as long as it wasn’t a nightmare!);
- Imagine yourself on a rocking chair with a purring cat on your lap and rhythmically pet the cat;
- Put yourself on a mental comfy raft and float in a pool or imaging gently floating down a river;
- Get up and sit in a chair in the dark until you feel sleepy again, then go back to bed;
- Imagine yourself relaxing in your favourite place or dream location like in a lush meadow with no worries on your mind and no pressure to think or do anything.
Anything that activates the mind will push sleep further away. Here’s what NOT to do:
- Do not think of work;
- Do not think of money;
- Do not try to sort out any relationship issues;
- Do not make lists of things to do or all the things you have to worry about;
- Do not activate your mind in any way that keeps you in that hyper-conscious realm.
Everything seems a bit worse in the middle of the night. If you can get back to sleep as easily as possible, so much the better. This is where Zenbev really shines. If you are up frequently in the middle of the night and can’t get back to sleep, consider taking Zenbev Drink Mix. It is the best natural sleep supplement and clinically proven to reduce time awake at night as well as the number of awakenings.
What works for you?